Get to the airport with plenty of time to spare
- 2 hours prior to departure if you're travelling to Europe.
- Check with your airline if you are unsure.
- Last-minute worries about the weight of your bag? See our Baggage allowance page.
- Figure out how to get to the airport. Have you considered airport parking or staying at an airport hotel the night before you depart?
- Leave plenty of time to get to the airport.
- Passports, travel documents (unless you're picking them up at the airport), money, baggage.
- Make sure your home is locked securely.
- Bring the latest copy of your invoice.
- You're off!
Easyjet check-in closure
From the 1st May, Easyjet will no longer offer airport check in and insist that 100% of customers check in online and print their boarding cards. Please log on to www.easyjet.com and select the 'check in online' option on the top right hand of the web page. You will need to enter your Advance Passenger Information (API) and print off your boarding cards. If you have no access to a computer and printer to do this please contact your travel agent, or Aftersales on 0871 231 3297, at least 2 weeks prior to departure, who will be able to do this for you.
Check your bags in the day before - Thomson Airways only
At Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham you can check your bags in the day before you fly. If you're not too far from the airport or staying in an airport hotel, ease the pain of having to get up earlier than need be by checking-in your bags the day before.
This service is available when flying with Thomson Airways with a scheduled departure time before midday the next day. The desks are open between midday and 10pm.
If you are flying from Birmingham with Thomson Airways, this service is only available if you have already received your travel documents. If you are flying with Thomson Airways and collecting your travel documents on departure from the airport, you will not be able to check your bags in the day before you fly.
To comply with Department for Transport requirements, all members of your party must come to the airport for check-in. You'll need all travel documents, passports and baggage. The Thomson Airways team will then explain arrangements for your departure the next day. Subject to availability.
Here's exactly what you need to do:
- Go to check-in any time between midday and 10pm - looking out for the day before check-in desks, these can be found at the following locations Gatwick North terminal zone D, Manchester terminal 2 and Birmingham check-in desks 10-21.
- You will be asked the usual security questions relating to baggage. Checked-in baggage is then processed as normal.
- You will receive boarding cards and receipts for checked-in baggage.
- You're free to leave the airport and relax for the night.
The next day:
- Return to the airport. If you've already received your boarding card, go straight to airport security. Queues are at their peak first thing in the morning so please ensure you leave enough time to reach your departure gate at least one hour before your flight leaves.
- That's it!
A few useful questions and answers on the day before check-in
Q: If I am travelling as part of a group, but only a few of us want to make use of day before check-in, is this possible, or do we all have to check-in together?
A: All members of your group will need to use the day before check-in service at the same time.
Q: If for any reason, on the day of departure, I decide I want to check in an additional bag, is this possible?
A: You will be able to check-in additional items of luggage on the day, but charges will apply if you happen to exceed your baggage allowance.
Q: Will I still have to queue on the day of departure? Is there a special desk allocated?
A: If you've checked-in already, then on the day of departure you may proceed directly to the departure lounge, via airport security, and you're good to go.
Q: If I check-in the day before, does this mean I can arrive at the airport later on my departure date?
A: You must allow sufficient time to clear airport security, and you should reach the departure gate at least one hour before your scheduled departure time (boarding can commence as early as one hour prior to the scheduled departure time).
Your topic not covered here?
If you get in touch during business hours we usually respond within an hour or two.