Why not try...
- singing along to the well-loved melodies on the 'Sound of Music' tour - a must for all visitors
- getting both hands round a litre stein of Stiegl beer in one of the beer halls, or taking a historical tour around the Augustiner brewery
- coffee and Mozart chocolates in the Fürst Cafe, where these chocolates were invented
- seeing all the sights and saving money with a Salzburg Discount card (apx £34 for 3 days) - get free entry to Mozart's birthplace, the Hohensalzburg Fortress and funicular, plus many others places of interest
So what's it like?
Situated on the banks of the Salzach River, Salzburg is one of the most beautiful cities in central Europe. Birthplace of Mozart and setting to the 'Sound of Music', the city has a rich musical heritage and this is what gives Salzburg it's distinct character and vibe. Take a leisurely walk around the old town and along the Getreidegasse, the famous street of wrought iron signs where the most expensive McDonald's sign in the world can be found! Mozart's birthplace is also to be found along this street and you'll find his influence in abundance throughout the city. Explore the maze of boutique filled narrow streets which filter off from the main shopping street.
Visit Hellbrunn Palace on the outskirts of the city and see the vast gardens with playful water fountains - great on a hot summers day. The Mirabell Palace is famous for its gardens and is perfect for a picnic or just people watching. Not to be missed is the stunning Cathedral and the views from the Hohensalzburg Fortress are the best in the city.
Salzburg City Tour (Daily) from £14
A city made famous by its music, Salzburg is home to Mozart and The Sound of Music. Explore the cobbled old town, the cathedral and medieval fortress before crossing the river to stroll through the pretty gardens of the Mirabell Palace.
City and Boat Tour (Daily) from £30
Informative city tour including all major sites followed by river cruise.
Mozart City Tour (Daily) from £23
Insight into the gothic, Renaissance and baroque aspect of the city as Mozart saw it.
Mozart Dinner & Concert (most days) from £48
A musical and culinary delight in the most stylish setting of the Stiftskeller St Peter restaurant.
Sound of Music Tour (Daily) from £35
Visit many of the sites from the original movie set in beautiful Salzburg. Explore the surrounding area and learn interesting facts and trivia about one of the most famous films of all time.
Please note: Some entrances, tolls and optional extras are payable locally. Reduced prices for children up to 12 yrs incl. Infants who do not require a seat are free.
• Mirabell Palace and Gardens • Hohensalzburg Fortress • Salzburg Cathedral • Hellbrunn Castle • Mozart's birthplace • boat ride down the Salzach river