Why not try...
- The local favourite - 'Apricot Krapfen' it's like a doughnut, see if you can manage not to lick your lips!
- A day trip to Mozart's Salzburg - run around the fountain just like a real Von Trapp!
- The swimming pools and saunas the superb leisure centre - free entry with your all-inclusive summer card
- A day trip to the nearby lakes for a picnic and a swim in the refreshing alpine waters
- One of the free guided walks provided by the tourist office's English speaking walking guides
- Letting your feet hang free on a paragliding taster course
So what's it like?
Schladming is a great area for a walking holiday. Enjoy fabulous views as you ascend the Hochwurzen Cable Car to the start of numerous trails through the hills. Take path 60 on to path 771 towards Ursprungalm. Discover beautiful alpine meadows, thick forests and take a few photos of the impressive rock fall. A must-do is the leisurely walk along the Talbach gorge to the Untertal Valley. Pass the Alte Mühle (old mill) and take in the impressive sight as the water of the Talbach plummets under the bridge into a cauldron next to the watermill.
Schladming has a rich and colourful history dating back over 700 years to medieval times and for centuries was the cultural and craft centre of the area. Nowadays it offers a fine range of shops and cafés in an attractive, pedestrianised centre. Mix with the locals and pick-up some local produce as you get swept through the traditional market. Enjoy the open-air festivals, brass-band concerts and occasional classical performances. Don't miss a major treat for the area - the Ennstal classic car rally - the historic automobiles finish their second day of the rally in Schladming.
The superb leisure centre is the pride of the town, offering indoor and outdoor swimming pools, sauna, solarium, massage and table-tennis. Schladming also boasts tennis, squash, mini-golf, bowling alley, horse-riding and guided walks. Relax at pavement cafés and sample some of the delicious home made cakes and ice creams. There are numerous bars and restaurants which offer a vast range of delicious cuisine and warm hospitality. Schladming is an excellent base for mountain biking of all levels - from beginner to enthusiast! It is part of the longest signposted network of mountain biking trails in the world! Bikes can be hired in the resort, and the Dachstein-Tauern Mountain Biking map details all the trails, and gives suggestions of the best routes to follow.