Why not try...
- exploring other villages on Wolfgangsee by taking one of the frequent ferry services. The views of the surrounding mountains from the water are stunning
- visiting the Café Konditorei Dallmann to watch apple strudel being baked and learn how to make chocolate Mozart balls
- loading some Mozart onto your music player before you go - it's the perfect St. Gilgen soundtrack
- a visit to the local history museum where you get an interesting insight into the lacemaking industry that once thrived in St. Gilgen
So what's it like?
This self styled "Mozart Village" takes its place in history by being the birthplace of Wolfgang's Grandfather and Mother, but surprisingly the great man never visited. The village is nonetheless proud of this connection and has a museum dedicated to the musical virtuoso. Outside the museum you will find a fountain with a statue of Mozart's mother in her teenage years, continuing into the village centre you'll find a statue of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart playing on his violin.
Following this musical theme, pay a visit to the Instruments Museum, they invite you on a musical journey from St. Gilgen all the way around the world! You'll encounter foreign landscapes, traditional tribes and their music, customs and culture. For something completely different, a trip to the World of the Dinosaurs will educate and entertain you in equal measure, it has everything from fossils to Jurassic themed games for children.
History buffs will also enjoy a visit to the hermitage of the original St. Gilgen, hidden behind a chapel on the Falkenstein cliffs to the west of St. Wolfgang.For some of the most stunning views in the whole of the Austrian Lake District, a trip up the cable-car to the top of the Zwölferhorn mountain is not to be missed.
Hallstatt (Sun) from £27
The jewel in the crown of the Austrian lakes district, Halstatt is a picturesque village perched on the edge of imposing mountains in front of crystal blue lake waters.
Berchtesgaden Historic Tour (Mon) from £27
Trip to Bertchesgaden town - famous for its salt mines and Hilters Eagles Nest. Visit the historic tea house wit awe-inspiring views.
Český Krumlov (Tue) from £44
A chance to visit the Czech Republic and experience this historical and colourful medieval town, the inspiration for Walt Disney's Pinocchio.
Salzkammergut Lakes Tour (Thurs) from £24
A picturesque tour around the lakes of the Salzkammergut area including Mondsee, home of The Sound of Music church and St Wolfgang, home to the famous 'White Horse Inn'.
Salzburg City Tour (Fri) from £27
A city made famous by its music, Salzburg is home to Mozart and The Sound of Music. Explore the cobbled old town, the cathedral and medieval fortress before crossing the river to stroll through the pretty gardens of the Mirabell Palace.
Please note: Some entrances, tolls and optional extras are payable locally. Reduced prices for children up to 12 yrs incl. Infants who do not require a seat are free.
If you wish to explore Hallstatt plus the Ice Caves or Salt Mines please upgrade in resort.
• lake fishing • indoor swimming • crazy golf • lake bathing • windsurfing • sailing boats and catamarans • waterskiing • pedaloes and rowing boats for hire • outdoor tennis • golf near Fuschl • bicycles for hire • bowling • horse riding • popular annual village festival in August