The best of Europe's lakes
It's easy to forget how something so simple as a lake can bring a very real sense of calm and beauty. Not that serenity is all you'll get - there are loads of ways to enjoy the lake a bit more proactively by trying out things like water skiing and wakeboarding. Here we've put together a variety of lake holidays for you to check out.
Italy needs little introduction - the home of pizza and pasta as well as acres of world class wines. The lakes have a tonne of activities to get stuck into and the towns are lined with restaurants and bars too - sample a different place every day.
- Beautiful scenery with mountains to the north and vineyards to the south
- Pretty lakeside resorts, rich in history and culture
- Promenades, piazzas and stylish shops
- Meander through the cobbled streets and piazzas of Stresa and Baveno
- A lakeside riviera with a cosmopolitan and friendly atmosphere
- Set on the south western shores of the Italo-Swiss Lake Maggiore
- Mingle with the stars on the shores of Europe's deepest lake
- Style and charm ensure there is something for everyone
- Accommodations available on the east and west shores
Slovenia's biggest selling point is its beauty - it is the very definition of picturesque. Lake Bled is surrounded by pine forests and the backdrop is the Julian Alps. The atmosphere is a laid back one but there's still plenty of activities there if you want them.
Two bustling resorts here – Zell am See's centre is pedestrianised and has a good selection of cafes and shops. On the lake you can get up to things like swimming, rowing and cruises among other things. St Wolfgang is a historic village in an idyllic setting on the lakeside. Fantastic views are had from the terraces of the restaurants – and plenty of watersports for the energetic.
Lake Lucerne is simply beautiful. It combines clear blue waters and panoramic views of the tree-lined mountains. With a traffic-free centre, the city of Lucerne has an abundance of shops, bars and restaurants offering a fantastic atmosphere. Lucerne's lakeside is a great summer playground, with loads of lidos and places to relax in the sunshine. You can spend a day cruising around the lake on the paddle steamer or hire a motorboat and explore the little villages that surround the lake.